Some florets may not break down. Pull these out and set aside. Transfer cauliflower rice to another bowl and reprocess the larger cauliflower pieces. Recipe courtesy of Kara Lydon, RD, LDN, RYT, Blogger at the foodie dietitian.
Servings: 6 to 8 Servings
- 1 small head cauliflower, quartered, cores removed, and broken into florets
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked for at least one hour
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 small garlic clove
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 cup Hemp Hearts
- 1/2 tablespoon white miso
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cup hot almond milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 medium heads broccoli, cut into 2-inch pieces, quickly steamed
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place cauliflower florets into a food processor and pulse until broken down into couscous-sized granules.* Set aside.
- In a food processor, add cashews, nutritional yeast, vinegar, garlic, salt, white pepper, Hemp Hearts, miso, lemon juice, and ½ cup almond milk and pulse until smooth and creamy.
- In a large saucepan, add olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and let cook for 3-5 minutes, or until onions are translucent. Add flour and whisk until oil is absorbed and onions are coated, about 60 seconds. Add milk and whisk until thickened, about 5 minutes. Whisk in cashew cheese until smooth and creamy.
- Add broccoli to a 9x13-inch casserole dish. Pour cashew cheese sauce over broccoli and mix to evenly distribute. Sprinkle 1 cup œcauliflower rice" over top.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes, or until cauliflower rice starts to turn golden brown and sauce is bubbling.